FLORIDA ASSOCIATION OF REFLEXOLOGISTS
SCOPE OF PRACTICE
Specific techniques and areas of application define the unique quality of reflexology as opposed to any other discipline. The traditional practice of reflexology primarily focuses on the theory of reflex maps and their representation on the feet, hands and outer ears.
Reflexology is a specific modality of somatic bodywork. It is a protocol of manual techniques, such as thumb and finger-walking, hook and backup and rotating-on-a-point, applied to specific reflex areas. These techniques stimulate the complex neural pathways linking body systems, supporting the body’s efforts to function optimally.
CODE OF ETHICS
The FAR Code of Ethics is a public statement of the common set of values and principles used to promote and maintain high standards of conduct within the practice of reflexology. The Code of Ethics speaks directly to the relationship between FAR-member reflexologists and their clients.
As members of the Florida Association of Reflexologists, we will strive to:
• Serve the best interests of our clients at all times, including the establishment and evaluation of client-determined goals.
• Refer clients to other qualified health care professionals should the clients require services beyond our capability or outside the scope of bona fide credentials that we hold.
• Provide a clean and safe environment in which all people are welcome, regardless of disability, ethnicity, gender, marital status, physical build, sexual orientation, religion, nationality, political affiliation and/or economic status.
• Protect client privacy and confidentiality, within the limits of the law.
• Respect our clients’ personal boundaries by refraining from behaviors that may be perceived as a violation of a physical, sexual, emotional, intellectual and/or energetic boundary.
• Adhere to the FAR Standards of Practice.
STANDARDS OF PRACTICE
As members of the Florida Association of Reflexologists, we vow to uphold the highest standards of conduct as a reflexology practitioner and business professional.
As FAR members:
• We accurately represent our credentials, qualifications, education, experience, and competence, and work within the scope of our practice by adhering to national, state, county and municipal laws.
• Our services are designed to support our clients and their health. Our services are not a substitute for medical care, and information we may share is educational in intent, and not diagnostically prescriptive in nature. We do not diagnose, prescribe, make a prognosis or treat for illness.
• We agree to be prepared and on time for our clients; professional in our appearance, clean and sober. We further agree to wash our hands thoroughly before each session and provide clean linens for each client.
• We do not intentionally malign other healthcare professions or practitioners.
• We commit to truthful advertising and marketing, and agree not to use the FAR logo and/or membership or other intellectual property in any way that is unauthorized, improper or misleading.
• We proudly promote reflexology to clients, the public and other healthcare professionals in an accurate and truthful manner without exaggeration.
• We commit to our own professional self-growth and continuing education.
• We agree to adhere to the FAR Code of Ethics.
Any breach of the Code of Ethics and or Standards of Practice according to the Florida Association of Reflexologists would be grounds for termination of official membership and all its benefits.